Thursday, August 20, 2009

No More Pull-Ups

So I have decided that I have had enough of Pull-ups.....they really are just another form of diapers and in my house serve no training purpose. Luke could care less that he has to pull them up and down all by himself just like underwear. So after months of trying to potty train Luke with Pull-ups I have decided to start putting him in underwear..FULL TIME (well with the exception of bedtime). See Luke has been going #1 on the toilet for some time now...that is when I force him to sit or stand in the bathroom.....he has yet to tell me when he has to go potty. He will ONLY and I mean ONLY go if I ask. My goal is to get him to start telling me when he has to go.

So we went to Target and I laid out at least 6 different character underwear...Spiderman, Batman, Spongebob, Thomas the Train, Disney, X-Men.....and told Luke..."Okay buddy pick two." He went back and forth on a couple and ended up with Batman and a collection of Disney underwear. Then we came home and put them on. Now every half an hour I have to ask Luke.."Do you have to go Potty?" "Please let me know when you have to go." We have had a couple of accidents....but so far...it seems to be working....okay.but again..he is only going if I ask...today I think was a HUGE break through.

Luke went to the bathroom and did not put his underwear back on when he was finished....so I just decided to let him roam with out them and see what happens....maybe a half hour went by and he all of a sudden in a panic Luke says "Mommy I need my underwear...help me get it on...please" Then it hits me..he has to go number two and will not go on the toilet, he would rather go in his underwear..HELL NO I am not cleaning that mess up again....so even though I felt horrible I refused to let him put his underwear back on and forced him to sit on the Potty and guess what. HE DID NUMBER 2...I know too much information....but this is HUGE....we may finally be getting this potty training thing. At least now he knows that the toilet is not going to swallow him when he drops a Load. Now I know this was the first time and who knows what the next time will be like.......but it was definitely a big step today. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am actually proud of Luke going #2 on the potty!!

We start Almost 3 Preschool in September and they do not allow Pull-Ups so it is crunch time!!!! I am bound and determined to get this kid potty trained....and just for the record I am totally 100 % frightened to leave my house with him until he is trained....but I just have to do it...I will keep you all posted on how it is going....

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Luke is not invited over until he can be trusted in undies! Just kidding. I love the part where he mulls over which underwear to choose. So cute.

Jessica said...

YAY Lukey - huge breakthrough! Once he gets it down I'm totally telling Ellie that Luke uses the potty to get that kid motivated. When I tell her she needs to use the potty for the man poops I clean off her behind she just responds with "Oh."

Good luck. Can't wait to hear more stories.

Anonymous said...

Come on Luke, you can do it! That sounds like a breakthrough that he went when you wouldn't give him his underwear! I'll bet he gets it soon.

Amanda said...

Yeah Luke...good luck with the rest of this adventure!

Let us know if you end up with any earth-shattering knowledge that makes potty training a breeze. I'm hoping to start with Vivian while I'm home next summer.

Kellie said...

Love it keep the stories coming. We are starting Raegan next week.

Mom said...

You go girl.... YOU CAN DO THIS....
those kids are work....Isn't it funny, to think you were like that for me... I'm lovin it.

Mandy said...

That's so great! He'll be trained in no time!