Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy 99th Birthday Grandpa


*He was born the year Titanic Sank 1912
*He knew Al Capone personally...as a young boy he used do things for him...sort like the kid in a Bronx Tale..or at least that's how I picture it.  You know that's how Italians roll in Chicago
*By accident half of his pointer finger was sliced off while working in a Sausage Factory...you would think he would have learned his lesson to keep his fingers away from the slicer...but ...two years later, he sliced off the his other pointer finger. Now he just has two stubs.  
*Because of his stubs, when he points to someone or something....he points with his swear finger.  So he is flicking people off constantly - and now my son does this.
*He owned a little convenient shop and it was called Frandies (Angelo is his first name, but everyone called him Andy and my Grandma's name was Frances...and that's how Frandies came about).
*He was married to my Grandma for over 50 years - my Grandma has been gone for a while now, but he still has a shrine of pictures of her so he can see her all the time. So Sweet.
*Has 4 Children, 12 Grandchildren;  21 Great Grandchildren ( I think) ...and more on the way.
* He loves the Cubs and his big screen TV
* As a kid I have the fondest memories of my Grandpa picking me up and swinging me around...all the time. 
*When we were kids, and we did something bad, he would tell us we better stop or we would get a licking....that meant a spanking...my siblings, cousins and I were always pretty scared of that.
* Growing up EVERY SUNDAY we would go to church and go back to my Grandparents house for Mister Donut - then changed to Spunky Dunker Donuts. We would all eat Chocolate Iced rings and all of the kids (siblings & cousins) would watch reruns of The Brady Bunch.
 * All his life he celebrated his birthday on Feb 4th..because that is the day he thought was his birthday....this past year my Mom & Aunts found his birth certificate and realized that he was born on Feb 5th not the 4th.

He is such a sweet man and I am so blessed to have him in my life. I wish I had a scanner so I could post pictures of him in his younger days... I have so many other memories and fun things to share, but then this post would never end...99 years and as healthy as can be. Love you Grandpa!
 

Grandpa with his daughter's - Rosemary, Marylouise & Josephine...they still call him Daddy after all these years.



The sister's...Rose, Angela & Fran
Enjoying some Cake
Me & Grandpa

3 comments:

kenzie said...

What a great post. Sounds like an amazing guy, and you are so lucky to still have him! Happy Birthday grandpa!

Angela said...

That was a good one. My eyes were tearing as I read it !!!!!!

JILL said...

Wow!!! How wonderful. Happy Birthday, Grandpa!