Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiday Season Begins with Gingerbread Houses

First..up Me and my kiddos...oh and the only close picture of my house. I swear I took a close-up, but can not seem to find it. The house started out looking good. The black blobs on it were meant to me cute dots, but the frosting was a little too soft and it looked like 20 birds flew over my house and pooped on it. Also, Adriana is pant-less. again..she did it all by herself.


So its that time again for our annual Bartilotta Gingerbread house decorating party. Love, Love, Love this event! Every year we make new rules, and mix things up a bit. In the past the rules have been...everything on your house must be edible, and you may not bring any new candy...you have to use what is left over from past years. I know sounds gross, but over the years everyone has brought so much hard candy, that we have felt bad throwing it out. So we pack it away for next year. Another rule, houses are meant for show...not eating...hence the candy. The new rule this year had nothing to do with our houses, we assigned everyone a different food to bring so we could enjoy some breakfast before we start decorating. For example, I was assigned Dunkin Donut Munchkins...I will have to bring this item every year. I love DD Munchkins, but the problem is I found myself snacking on them the whole drive over to my Mom's. Anyway on to the houses. So we get pretty competitive...and always vote on the best two houses. This is a silent vote and by numbers so you have no idea who voted for who until the number is revealed. For those of you who don't know, I won the very first 1st place award the first year we did this. I think 11 or 12 years ago. Since that win, I have yet to land in the number 1 or 2 spot. Needless to say I am not happy about it.


Here are the winners...Jessie - the baker of the family. She is very artistic and loves to bake. Lets just put it this way, Jessie and I have a deal, if I ever open a cupcake bakery, she is going to be my top chef! Second place went to Jacob (one of my cousins kids who is 6 or 7) he had to run to a birthday party so his Nana is accepting the 2nd place award on his behalf. There are prizes, although I am not quite sure what they were this year.

This is Jessie's perfect and neat house that took first place.



The Chiovari crew. Yes we are all wearing our aprons that my Mom made for us. They have a large Initial on each so we know whose is who. This is something I remember from my childhood. Since Me, Ang, Fran & Rose are all so close in age, my Mom would dress us all alike..all the time. I am sure I hated it back then but looking back at the pictures it was pretty cute. Anyways lots of our stuff had initials on it....from what I can remember Robes & PJ's mostly...I am sure this was done to make each of us feel special and so my Mom would have some sanity and keep our arguing to a minimum.






Fran, Angela, Me, Adriana, Rose, Demi & Sara




A close-up look at Luke's house. He is getting so big now and demands a house of his own.




Bella




All the houses ready to be voted on...we are serious people. See the house with the two Elmos on it, and a red bell...that is my house..The Elmos are the back of the house...




The 2nd generation of cousins are just growing and growing.

from left to right Luke, Jacob, Jack, Anthony, Ava, Demi, Gianna, Sara, Jack, Bella, & Gracie (Adriana was sleeping)





Demi participated by watching the decorating madness from the living room


Anthony & Gianna

Adriana even got into it...with a teeny tiny house...her interest level lasted a good 4 minutes, which worked out great for me...because she made a mess!





Another group Chiovari Shot




Luke so happy to be decorating





Blank houses just sitting patiently


Another great year! Thanks Mom for hosting and letting us make a mess in your house. I say it every year, and I will say it again, next year is going to be my year to take my 1st place crown back!

3 comments:

mom said...

You are welcome!!! Yep...Lovin the tradition too. And, I know you WILL make tha "come back"--better luck next year!

Kelly said...

I am sooo jealous! I love this tradition. Your rooftop was quite good but your cousin's house was total perfection.

Amanda said...

Best tradition! :) What a great thing for your baby girl to look forward to someday.