So as most of you know, Luke is not the best sleeper. Ever since he was little it was like pulling teeth to get this kid down for a nap. When my sister Angela, Mom & Mother In Law Maureen would watch him, they would have to let him cry it out for sometimes 30 - 45 minutes just to get him to go down for a nap. Then at night, he would go down just fine, but would wake up every couple of hours.
Lets just say he was not sleeping through the night until maybe 4 - 5 mths. Funny thing is....once we put him in daycare he took naps like a champ...so the teachers said....according to them he was always the first to go down and last to wake up. Maybe it was because he saw everyone else lying on their cots going to sleep so he followed suit. Maybe it was because he was up at 6:30 every morning......Not quite sure...I could hardly believe it.
Anyway for the past week and a half Luke has been going to bed around his usual time between 8-8:30 and waking up around 3:30 ready to get up and play. He will cry and scream MOM, MOMMY...I'M DONE, I WANT TO GET OUT! HELLO!! I have tried to let him cry it out..but after a while I give in (not every night) to see what the matter is. One because its so hard for me to listen to him cry and whine, and two because he has been sleeping through the night since 5 months... its just odd he is waking up. So once I go in there he is WIDE awake...wanting to go watch TV, go downstairs, he wants Apple Juice etc....
What am I getting at....sorry its taking me so long.. it can be only a couple of things.
1) Is he going through a growth spurt..again? I have read and heard that when kids go through growth spurts....their routines get a little out of whack.
2) Is it teething...he still does not have his 2yr molars in...and I do notice a slight rash on his face?? But no whining about his teeth and no rubbing of the ears indicating an ear infection.
3) Is he getting too much sleep....is this possible? He naps for anywhere from 1hr - 2 hrs....and then gets around 10 hrs of sleep a night. He NEVER EVER sleeps in...he is always up around 7am. (really sucks)
So my question is...What do I do...
-wait it out..maybe its a phase
- slowly stop naps???
We have a doctors appointment this week so of course I will ask them...but for now...its getting a little crazy.
Every website you go to says something different....some kids need more sleep than others....etc...I have a fear that once we move him into a Big Boy Bed...naps are going to a joke considering our nap times now consist of at least a 1/2 hr of jumping and playing before falling asleep.
Oh What to DO with my Little Lukey!!! For this next baby, I am going to try my hardest to follow the books that all of my friends are reading because all of their kids are sleeping like Rock Stars.
7 comments:
Let me know what the doctor says. So far the one thing I've learned about being a parent so far is that I don't know anything about being a parent. As soon as I think I've got something figured out, it changes.
I think Raegan and Luke have been reading from the same book. Since Christmas my girl has been waking up at 3 am wide awake and ready to play. However we were at the doctors today and her two year molars are already coming in and she has a double ear infection. Yeah! It might be his teeth. Let me know what you find out and good luck!
Oh my gosh! I was laughing so hard reading this. That totally stinks that he is talking to you at 3:30 in the morning. Wow. I don't know what else to say.
We're having sleep drama, too, so I don't think the books know everything....Let us know what you figure out. :)
Ellie is doing some crying off and on every other night or so. Sometimes its bad and we have to go in a rock her and sometimes she falls back to sleep. Sometimes its a stuffy nose, sometimes she's too hot and sometimes I have no idea why she's up. I'm worried she's getting used to someone coming in there so I try to wait it out if I can but I know what you mean about not being able to just listen to the crying.
What are we going to do when we have 2 waking up in the middle of the night?
Let me know how that "getting 2 kids to sleep all night" thing works out....we may base our decision of you guys! j/k
So you are saying that they may still not sleep through the night at 2years of age? Oh my gosh-Jake has been waking up 1x a night for the last couple weeks now...I guess sleeping is not in the cards for the next few years.
Post a Comment