Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I have A LOT to Learn

To get myself and Luke out of the house and around other kids, I have signed him up for two classes at the Park District, "Getting to Know Me" on Tuesdays and "Kid Rock" on Fridays. Because Luke is only two, these classes are for the child and parent. I was hoping for at least one class that was Child Only...reason being...I think Luke listens to the teachers and follows the class activities more when I am not around.....and he was very independent when he was in daycare and now that I am home with him, he seems a little clingy when we go out.

Tuesday was our first Getting to Know Me class. It was pretty interesting...only an hour long, but packed with activities - toy time, circle time (singing), activities time, story & snack. Luke did great and loved it. Of course I had at least 2 Moms ask me if he was 3 yrs old because of his size....he completely towers over the other 2 yr olds...who knew!

There were about 10 kid in the class along with their Moms. I gathered that most of the Moms knew each other because they all chatted together the whole time. Me being the newbie...I tried to make friends but slowly started to realize that I am very different from these women....all over a conversation about PlayDoh!

This is the scene....all the kids sitting at a table playing with Playdoh.

Me: "What kind of PlayDoh is this?

Some Mom: Oh its Homemade...the teachers make homemade for all the kids

Me: Oh that's nice...why don't they just use regular PlayDoh?

Some Mom: Looking at me strangely - Oh this stuff is so much better...besides...I don't let my kids play with the store bought..it has so many chemicals blah blah

Me: Oh really, I actual love the store bought PlayDoh...for some reason I love the smell of it...i know I am weird...even more weird was the blank stares I received from the Moms

Other Mom: You should really try to make your own..its so much better
Mom #2: I totally agree
Mom#3: Me too...I just whip up a batch and let them dive in....and it lasts forever

Me: Oh wow that sounds like a lot of work

Other Mom: No not at all...here is the recipe..

And with that I was handed (from the teacher) a piece of paper with full instructions.

NO COOK PLAYDOUGH

2 Cups Boiling Water
3 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
3 tsp. Alum
Food Coloring
Mix in a large bowl and knead well -Lasts up to six months in air tight container.

Okay so this is the thing...I am so out of my element here....Looking back, I would have never thought about making my own Playdoh or even thought about the ingredients/chemicals in store bought (does that make me a bad mom???).....oh and there was a ton of different conversations that are completely new to me...they talked about gardening (so not me), story time at Barnes & Noble and they knew EVERY SINGLE SONG during circle time..I am sure that will come in time but it was just strange. We felt very behind......all this is good stuff.....but just stuff I am NOT used to. All I can say is I felt like I was in the TWILIGHT ZONE. I am going to try my hardest and fit in next week....this will be interesting! So what did I learn from the Getting to Know Me class at the Park District?????

I clearly have a lot to learn about being a SAHM.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow. I still can't believe they make their own playdough! Even if I had the time...

You should read "The Yummy Mummy" by Poly Williams. I think Jill has my copy. Its totally about a new Mom getting used to being with other SAHMs (you're not a mess like she is but its a great read!)

Teresa said...

So funny Jess..I just finished that book...and I think that is what made me think of all this. Hiliarious!

Anonymous said...

This is such a funny post!! I love this...Oh, maybe one day we can join SAHM with you!! We can all start our own club and we will have our own songs!! Kind of like our own sorority!! It all comes back around.

Kelly said...

That was a great story. I wish I was a fly on the wall. I have to say that I do make my own playdough at school but you can tell those beotches that I have a better recipe that uses cream of tartar. Wow, I'm totally one of them, aren't I?

Amanda said...

I think I have an easier play doh recipe from my KinderCare days if you want it. :) If you'd like, I can share my flubber recipe and you can really impress them next time. For what it's worth, I love the smell of regular play doh, too. :)

Anonymous said...

We make and use homemade playdoh at school. I don't think its really the same. sometimes we put peppermint scent in it.