Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Quick visit with Papa - or Great Grandpa

I just had to post these pictures because they are so adorable to me.  We went to visit my Grandpa a week or two ago.  Usually when we go the kids like to walk around and see the fish tanks...so my Grandpa will walk with us...however he is bound to a wheelchair now...he broke his hip a while back and decided that he was too old to go through therapy ....he is 99 now.  Anyway he usually insists on taking the stroll around the building with us...and insists on using his feet to pull himself in the wheelchair..he never seems to want anyone to push him.  What is totally adorable about this, is that Adriana almost always grabs his hand and walks with him...without me even asking her to.  This is a total shocker to me. Usually she is very shy when she is around people that she does not see that often.  I can't help but wonder if she knows that this person is someone special!  It literally melts my heart every time she does this. I know my Grandpa would love to stand up and pick her up and toss her in the air as he used to always do with me and my sisters.  He was always so much fun running around with us when we were little!


So since my Grandpa is getting older...although he is extremely healthy for a 99 year old...he often gets confused with all of his great grandkids names...I believe now he has 25 Great Grandkids.   This particular visit was pretty special because as we were at the fish tank, Adriana was saying "Papa look - Goldfish"  Right after she said that... he looked at me and said..out of the blue " You know...she looks like my Josie did"  Josie or Josephine is my Mom and  Adriana does resemble her...or at least that's what people tell me. I knew exactly who he was talking about...even though I have never heard him call her Josie before... After he said that...he then turned and just watched Adriana point and coo over the fish...at that moment...I could see in my Grandpa's eyes that he was taken back to a time in his life when his kids were little.  It was a brief and sweet moment, and I am sure one that my Mom will appreciate!  I can only hope that when I am much much older...I will be able to remember my kids at this age!


2 comments:

Mandy said...

OMG Teres...what a sweet story!!!

Nonnamia said...

You put a smile on my face and a tweek in my heart....I my self can remember grandpa would ask me to take off his shoes at night when he sat to watch tv.... I would pull the shoes strings and he would do the hard work..I was a little girl about Ade's age...I love that he sees me in her...xoxoxoxo