Friday, January 30, 2009

Insomnia.....

What it is: The inability to fall or stay sleep, especially in the third trimester.

Yes you read it....I am awake and it is exactly 4:40 a.m. The last time I looked at the clock it was 3:38 a.m. I have been up for at least an hour already. Insomnia has hit me once again...this happened with Luke. In fact, I remember saving up all of my magazines I received in the mail to read them in the middle of the night....now I just sit in the family room and hop on the computer. So why is this happening...well according to What to Expect When Expecting....

What causes insomnia: A complicated combination of hormones and a number of unhelpful conditions, such as frequent urination, persistent heartburn, leg cramps, and pre-birth anxiety.


Okay so I do have to get up and go to the bathroom....pretty much my nightly routines is ...get up....drag myself to the bathroom and then chug a glass of water....repeat....I can't stop...I am so darn thirsty. I try to stay away from the liquids in the middle of the night...to prevent getting up....but I CAN'T, put it this way I feel like I have been in a desert stranded with no water for days. Heartburn is another factor....leg cramps and pre birth anxiety...not so much.

What you need to know about it: You're probably getting more shut-eye than you think, but between any anxieties you might be feeling about the baby's birth, the fact that your sleep is interrupted by your need to pee, and the fact that you're tossing and turning all night (it's not easy to sleep with a watermelon), it's no wonder you're feeling as if you're not sleeping at all. If there's any bright side here, it's the assurance that you're getting some solid practice for what lies ahead.

I guess I am getting myself prepared for nightly feedings....but I sometimes wonder....when am I going to go back to the days of sleeping all night and sleeping in like in college....and then it hits me NEVER!!!

What to do about it:
Don't worry. Insomnia can't hurt you or your baby. Plus, sometimes just letting go of the worry is all it takes to help you sleep.


There you have it...there is nothing I can do about it. To be honest, it actually feels nice to sit on the couch in complete and utter silence. Oh well what are ya going to do....I am just convinced this is a part of pregnancy. BTW it is now 4:53 a.m. (don't beleive the time listed at the end of this post....its all messed up)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Its kinda sad that the second time around you are enjoying it as alone time!! Boy has life changed.

Amanda D. said...

Insomnia is a beast!

Kelly said...

Poor Teresa. Why don't you take up knitting or something? I mentioned to Mandy that it would be fun to take a quilting class...

Amanda said...

I forgot about how bad the sleeplessness was .... oh boy ....

Anonymous said...

I totally remember my long nights. Some channel has Roseanne reruns at 3 or 4 am if you're lookin for someting.