Monday, June 9, 2008

Tornado Warning - Take Cover Now!

This weekends events were pretty exciting. Saturday night I went over to my sister Angela's house to hang out. I was sitting there chatting up a storm, when Josh (her husband) jumps up and says there is a tornado coming. I glance over at the Sox game ( I know, I know, don't worry Brian, Luke was in the other room)...anyways the T.V. screen has a Warning Strip that says "TORNADO - TAKE COVER NOW!" that is exactly what it said - No JOKE...in all CAPS too!

Shocked because I had never seen the T.V. say that...usually its always a tornado watch with annoying *beeps* that interrupt my show. I glanced outside and it was a dark greenish blue...so instead of rounding up the 5 kids (my sister was babysitting her nieces on the in-law side) I followed Josh outside to see if I could see the twister. By this time, Josh the "Storm Chaser" is outside with the video camera waiting to catch something on tape. Not the smartest idea...but the T.V. said it was hitting in Mundelein and we were in Wauconda, just a hop, skip & a jump away. It was crazy you could see large clouds moving fast, and what appeared to look like a twister moving up and down...Josh swears it was the tornado, but I was not quite sure. It looked like more a of a huge bulk of clouds instead of a funnel twister. I actually did not stay outside for long...just a couple of minutes. I came to my senses and thought I should go inside and protect the little ones. The weird thing was that there was no rain, no wind...just silence which we thought was a sign that we were safe.....COME TO FIND OUT...that is usually what happens right before it hits! After about a 1/2 hour of settling down the kids (they all wanted to go outside with Uncle Josh) and waiting for the storm chaser to come inside and give us the weather forecast everything started to settle down and all was back to normal.

Well, I should use the word normal lightly. There were 5 kids at her house Sydney - 7yrs, Anthony & Camyrn almost 4yrs, Luke & Gianna almost 2 yrs....it was chaos! They all were running around playing, throwing toys, fighting, crying, tattling on each other, chasing the dog....it was hilarious.

I heard at least 3 times "Auntie Teresa, Luke hit me" or "Hey I was playing with that...give it back" WACK.

Angela did not seemed phased by this at all...Myself on the other hand was a little in awe of all the commotion. I think I have a SLIGHT glimpse into what my mother went through with we were little running around. Much credit is awarded to her for putting up with all of this. Not sure if I could handle 5 kids. So needless to say it was a pretty interesting night, no tornado hit the house and I know Luke had a great time playing with his cousins.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You're insane. I'm a chicken and would have been in the basement the entire time!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I love storms. I would have been outside, too. Glad it didn't hit!