Thursday, June 26, 2008

Operation Bottle Return

As most of you know, I am a huge fan of the Book Baby Bargains (thanks Mom for getting me this when I was pregnant). I subscribe to their website and receive emails every once in a while on new Baby/Toddler stuff. A week or two ago ( I actually just read it yesterday) I received an email alert about Dr. Brown bottles tested to have BPA in them...I am not totally up on all this....as most of you are, but I perked up because I have a TON of Dr. Browns bottles packed away at my house and have heard some discussions about this.

In a nut shell BPA is found in the plastic bottles and is know to release some chemical into the milk once heated - this is harmful to children.
I have not seen any official recall information on these bottles but I had heard through my friends and then confirmed it with a women I work with that Babies R'Us is taking back Dr. Browns and replacing them with their new Dr. Brown BPA free bottles.
Supposedly BRU is letting people return their used 8oz. skinny Dr. Brown bottles in exchange for the new BPA free Dr. Browns. I did confirm and heard from Mandy that they were giving consumers a store credit, but found that people were totally scamming the store so now they are doing a bottle for bottle return policy...if you come in with 5 bottles , you will receive 5 new bottles.
I am usually not the type of person to freak out over all of this stuff.....I am sure the chemicals were around when I was younger and I seemed to turn out fine (I think...right Mom??) but hey, if there is a chance to keep my future kids a little safer then I am totally on board...PLUS I will get new bottles....how exciting is that! My next kid - NO I AM NOT PG....will at least have something new instead of all the hand- me -downs from Luke.
So my adventure begins at lunch today. I usually do not have the best luck with returning things......with my luck I will get there and they will tell me that as of an hour ago, they are no longer accepting bottles....I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
Last night I went into the basement, found the box labeled DR. BROWN BOTTLES and began to ruffle through them to pull out all of the 8oz skinny bottles...I have a ton of sizes - 2oz, 4oz, 8oz FAT bottles...I am not returning these....yet because I love the fat ones...especially since I purchased little handles so Luke would learn how to hold a bottle. Once they come out with 8oz fat BPA free Dr. Browns...I will be returning them. I was able to come up with 11 .....yes 11 skinny 8oz bottles to go back to the store. I have so many because my cousin gave me all of her bottles when she was done with them.
It is 11:00 now - my adventure to BRU begins in about an hour. I will keep you all posted on what happens. I am not sure why I find getting 11 brand new bottles exciting.....but I do. My how things have changed since college.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Good luck on the mission...let me know how it goes!